This Apple Butter is a super tasty fall treat, to enjoy all year long! Use this simple crockpot recipe to take advantage of the endless apples in the autumn. Then turn your apple butter into a sweet hostess gift for the holidays with our free printable labels!Jump to Recipe
Apple butter is a low sugar alternative to jams and jellies. It can be spread on toast or topped on pancakes, waffles or cheesecake and makes a tasty spice cake when mixed with cake mix! It also shockingly tasty on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich!
How to make apple butter
Prep in crockpot in less than 30 minutes in the am and process before bed using this crockpot method recipe. Or put this recipe together before bed, wake up and process it before heading to work in the morning!
Canning apple butter is a great, quick and easy fall project and makes a perfect holiday gift for hostesses, friends and family.
Apples are in abundance in the fall, find free apples in your backyard or pick your neighbours. They are also at their lowest price of the year in the grocery store. Read about how I process my all my apples in one weekend! The fall is the perfect time to make this tasty treat!
Do check out your neighbourhood for apple trees needing picking if you’re not luck enough to have one of your own. Gleaning is how I got lots of free fruit when I started canning 10 years ago. The elderly were so happy to exchange fruit for a few cans of yummy goodness.
Once you’ve sourced your apples it’s time to start processing them.
White Sugar, Brown sugar,Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Maple syrup, Apples
How to Can Apple Butter
2. Mix sugar and spices along with maple syrup in separate bowl.
3. Simply pour ingredients over the apples, admire and set the crockpot settings.
4. Set crockpot settings on low for 10 hours. If your crockpot has a timer setting like this one, you don’t have to worry about prepping it and forgetting about it. The automatic shut off to keep warm is super handy!
5. Once you’ve come back to the crockpot 10 hours later, you’ll be smelling a beautiful fall aroma! A great way to turn your house into a home this time of year! Go ahead and blend the apples using an immersion blender. You’ll need to ensure you keep it low and controlled to not get the hot apple butter on you.
If you’re new to hot water bath canning I highly recommend you read this guide. Quickstart Guide to Water Bath Canning. before you prepare your jars and use your hot water bath. Water Bath Canning is simple and friendly, it’s just very important to know the guidelines so that you don’t poison your family.
6. Prepare 8 pint jars and lids
7. Fill jars using a silicon ladle and this handy pour topper for jars
Wipe rims and add hot seals and lids
8. Place In hot water bath for 10 minutes for half pint jars
9. Set jars to cool, label and store for gift giving or eating over the winter months.
Crockpot Apple Butter
- Hot Water Bath
- Immersion Blender
- 12 Apples, Peeled and Cored
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 TSP Ground Cloves
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1. Peel, and Core apples using a Apple Peeler Corer tool2. Fit apples whole into crock pot3. In a medium size bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.4. Pour the sugar mixture over the apples in the crockpot.5. Set the crockpot settings to low for 10 hours.6. Prepare 8 pint jars according to hot water bath canning method.7. Puree the apple mixture with an immersion blender.8. Process the jars for 10 minutes.10. Let cool, label and store